Happy National Shortbread Day! To celebrate, here’re some of our delicious homemade pistachio shortbread bars.
Did you know that shortbread is simply made with flour, sugar, and butter? We’ve used vegan butter and a little bit of Unsweetened Pistachio Drink to make this suitable for vegans to enjoy. It’s usually cut into points, oblong fingers or baked into individual rounds, all for excellent dipping and munching purposes. This time we wanted to make something different, so we baked a pistachio shortbread bar.
Try making this rich and delicious bar yourself. The shortbread base will just melt-in-your-mouth. It makes a perfect combination together with crushed pistachios on top. Whether you’re looking for a festive addition to your holiday baking tray or just a sweet treat during the day, these bars will be sure to please.
- 3/4 cup Vegan butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Pistachio drink
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pistachios, divided
- 10tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 190ºC. Grease and line a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter with the sugar, pure vanilla extract, and salt until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour over the butter mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon, incorporate the flour into the butter mixture until just combined. The mixture will be crumbly; use your hands to knead a few times until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Add a splash of Unsweetened Pistachio Drink if needed.
- Press the shortbread dough into the prepared pan in an even layer. Refrigerate until the shortbread is set; about 30 minutes.
- Bake until the shortbread is lightly golden; about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- While the batter is baking, combine the maple syrup and crushed pistachios.
- Spread on top of a shortbread base in an even layer.
- Bake until the topping is just set (about 8-10 minutes). Allow cooling completely in the pan of a rack.
Inesa Slevaite, Marketing Executive at Borna Food